Earliest colourful beetroot sowing dates

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Earliest colourful beetroot sowing dates

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Hi charles , when would you start sowing the colourful beetroots? I have golden and white detroit, touchstone gold and chioggia, i get the impression they all have different bolting thresholds, especially chioggia which loves to bolt!
    Im getting impatient for multi coloured bunches :)
    Thanks dan

charles

Hi Dan, I know the feeling but Boltardy Rules for a while yet (you could make a song of it) because seedlings of the others are more sensitive to cold and to shorter days, which they survive but then they do indeed bolt, sooner or later.

So I sow these varieties late April, enough seeds for early harvest, then a bigger sowing around mid May. Boldor golden beetroot was excellent last year.

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

Great thanks charles, a song, haha i will have a think – brings to mind aboriginals in australia and their sacred songs and dances for their foods – ‘dance of the bush potato’ for example :) if our culture revered our food as much then… anwyay!

My feb hotbed sowing of Jannis (boltardy 2) , is doing well although germination slightly patchy, and my 7th march sowing is not all up yet, those that are look good, the seed is from last year, Tamar seed

Just done another sowing last root day, may do another next root day before new moon with some new seed to see if it makes a difference

Do you buy new beetroot seed every year?

charles

Well, if all the seed we bought was last year’s crop, it would be easier to answer that! However I do find that beetroot seed keeps well and in February I sowed last year’s Boltardy, whose germination and growth has barely diminished. I bought a small packet of ‘new seed’ in January and noticed little difference. But I shan’t risk it next year.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags