Early potatoes

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Early potatoes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ladbrokes 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Larkspur

I wondered if anyone could advise us which are the very best first earlies to grow?
    I have a heavy clay soil which has had a very thick blanket of three year old horse manure (real black gold) spread on top of it for the Winter.It is full of worms and NOT DUG!

We like yellow-fleshed, firm and waxy potatoes with real potato flavour.
    Also,when should they be planted (West Wales, frost often well into April).
    Finally, any second early recommendations please?

charles

Nice question this and I have a few suggestions, also hope that others will offer some because my favourite potatoes are much like your description – firm, waxy and yellow.

My favourite at the moment is a second early, Charlotte, also because it is high yielding. But in certain weather conditions the waxiness is reduced. Last year we pulled them (no need to dig when surface grown with a mulch of manure and perhaps other organic matter) on July 2nd, compared to Sharpes Express first earlies ready in eary June. It was an early spring! The Sharpes Express were much nicer in the first half of June than later, I have noticed that first earlies can lose quality and flavour so they are best eaten quickly and just grow a few plants.

I would plant tubers in late March early April and even mid April for second earlies, so they emerge just after last frost, but there is always an element of gamble if you want really early spuds.

ladbrokes

i also grew charlotte last yr and will be growing them this yr. i tried pink fir apple last yr and they were superb and gave a huge yield. the swift i grew were tasteless so wont be doing them again. may go back to pentland javelin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags