Electric Sand

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dazzerelli
    Participant

Hi Charles,

What uses have you found for your heated propagation bench in the greenhouse for? I guess it’s mainly for starting seeds off in late winter/early spring but wondered if you’d discovered any other useful techniques. Are there any dangers from overusing heat? Do you take seedlings off the heat as soon as they germinate?

Thanks and Regards,

Darren

charles

Hi Darren,

My propoagating bench is full now with germinating beetroot, onions, spinach, lettuce, peas for shoots, brassicas etc. I leave most trays on until seedlings are clearly established but it depends how many new sowings are about to happen. You can leave trays on until almost ready to plant, just lift occasionally to stop roots going into the sand, and with peas this needs doing every three days or so.

In essence, I like to keep it full and use all the heat, with no particular time that is best for plants to come off, once they are germinated.

good sowing, Charles

Dazzerelli
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Charles. It wasn’t going to keep the seedlings on for so long but it sounds like I can be a bit more bold than anticipated. Do you find it necessary to use a thermostat so that the heat doesn’t get too much on warmer days in the greenhouse? Is it useful to cover trays or modules with sheets of glass or domed clear plastic tops of the sort that most ready made shop bought propagators seem to have?

I’m looking forward to sowing the seeds that you mention in your reply this weekend. It feels like the starting gun for this year’s growing has finally gone off!

Darren

charles

Yes the season is beginning, and yes I have a thermostat, mostly they do. I set it anywhere between 15 and 20, could be higher for toms, aubergines but then a little wasteful of heat for calabrese etc. But the warmth is economical and gentle so without a thermostat I do not think your plants would suffer on a sunny day, it is not like a space heater. They would just appreciate a little extra moisture as the modules, pots, trays whatever tend to dry invisibly from the bottom and need watering more than usual.

I rarely cover my trays as that can increase moisture too much. Just some glass for a few days on surface sown seeds such as lettuce and celeriac. Having no cover means less messing around and gives a clearer view of how growth is going.

pat Cottam

Really enjoying topics in forum and everyones experiences !

Have no power in gardens but in JanuaryFebruary have lots of polystyrene lids from grocery boxes of chilled broccolli etc donated by greengrocers. Mostly sow in modules but pots or trays with a flat surface place on flat polystyrene. Gives a little warmth can’t say if it works really well, but has never done any harm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags