Elephant Garlic

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ivyrose 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jjat8cv
    Participant

My elephant garlic did not split into individual cloves last year. Has any one else had this problem? What would happen if I replanted the whole bulbs or should I buy new stock?

bluebell
    Participant

You can replant these.
    I think it is caused when they don’t get cold enough over winter.

lizzy
    Participant

Some of my ‘ordinary’ garlic just grow into one big clove. Tastes ok.

bigron
    Participant

Monty had this problem as well that I saw on GW a few weeks ago. If I remember correctly he said the same thing. Didn’t get cold enough.

Stringfellow
    Participant

I’m not so sure about this regards the reasoning; I grew elephant garlic in my greenhouse this last season, over the winter, and they grew huge well separated bulbs. Based in North of England so colder than Long Meadow but could it be something else?

charles

jjat8cv is on the south coast where frosts are light, perhaps it was a lack of cold for her. I have always found that garlic planted before Christmas has enough cold to differentiate bulbs. I wonder when Monty planted his.
    It would be interesting to plant a one-clove bulb and I think it should grow normal cloves if there is a normal winter!

jjat8cv
    Participant

I have planted a couple of my one-clove bulbs just to see what happens and will let you know what the result is next summer. By the way I am in Taunton and not the south coast but we didn’t have much frost here last year and only one hard frost so far this year which cut down my yacon.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Of course, planting date is not clear for any of these; I had presumed that October/ November was when they had gone in, but this may not be the case. This last winter was fairly mild oop here in the north, but even then, my October planted elephant garlic grew separate cloves when grown under cover. The weather is rarely quite right, is it!

ivyrose
    Participant

I think it is better if you replant it.This can happen when the plant does not get enough cold needed for its growth.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags