Elephant Garlic

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Neilfrazerm 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Folks, Has anyone got advice or experience on Elephant garlic. I’ve tried it before and failed miserably, so this year I started my cloves off in October and they are currently sitting on my greenhouse (unheated) staging in 1 Litre pots with a good root structure and about 6″ of growth. Any suggestions when i should plant them out as i do need the space soon….

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Neil. I grow it every year as our main garlic crop; keeps well and really easy to peel. Each season I save more cloves for regrowing, so my stocks build each year. Mine have been in the ground outside since October, now showing about 4” of growth, under nets because of rabbits. I’m unsure how you’ve had difficulties in the past, as it’s a “plant and forget” crop for myself. HTH

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Aha, expert advice!. Thanks. Could I be cheeky and ask:
    When do you harvest? (to plan follow on crops), and,
    Does it suffer from Allium fly / maggots?
    BR
    Neil

Stringfellow
    Participant

Harvest June here in N.Yorks and the only trouble I’ve experienced is white rot which is scattered across my plot. I just followed the growing advice in Charles books and then observed each year; if I can do it, I’m quite sure you can 🙂

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

I am obliged sir.
    Guess I may be a bit earlier as am in ‘Saff’ London… and in allotments where bugs and beasties aBound..
    Guess I should stick some in the ground fairly soon and see what happens, and if all okay the remainder can join them a fortnight later.

I will update the thread with the results.

BR
    Neil

Dalesman
    Participant

Ordinary garlic needs a period of cold to start the plant forming cloves, else you end up with a solid bulb, and I should think that applies to Elephant as well. Garlic doesn’t just tolerate cold , it needs it, so I’d plant asap with protection from birds etc.

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Dalesman, thanks for your thoughts. Im not sure if this applies as Elephant Garlic is, apparently, a member of the Leek family, so this rule may or may not apply. I wonder if anyone has had experience of this? Would love to try a roasted whole elephant garlic for dinner!

Dieter
    Participant

I planted some cloves early November 2017, they are about 3-4″ in size now (Belgium, no protection). They are the slowest grower of my garlic plot though.

Neilfrazerm
    Participant

Hi Dieter, interesting yours are at the same stage as Stringfellow’s in the North of England, and not far behind mine which are in a greenhouse. Suggests to me keeping them inside is a bit pointless. Thanks for your input.
    Best Regards, Neil

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags