Elephant garlic ‘bulblets’

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Elephant garlic ‘bulblets’

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  charles 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

susan
    Participant

Good afternoon Charles,
    When I harvested my elephant garlics in July, there were small brown-beige coloured “bulblets” attached to the the base of the large bulbs. What are they? I have saved them hoping to learn if it is possible to plant them. And what it will produce?
    By the way I am looking forward to your vegetable journal. It seems you have put a page of it in your site? Is it the same as what comes under the book section or you meant you have put a single page sampler in Pdf format somewhere in your web site?
    All the best and with kind regards.

charles

Yes those little brown bulbs are a mystery to me too and I have never planted them, doubt they would grow much but you could try! I would plant them quite close together, say 2 to 3 inches.

I don’t understand your reference to a page of the new book on this site, I have not posted one, am pleased you are looking forward to reading it next February.

compostpope
    Participant

It’s on your Home page Charles, just above the “news” section….

“A page for my next book appearing in February 2014
    Charles Dowding’s Veg Journal, month by month advice”

I was also puzzled as to it’s whereabouts…

CP

Rhys
    Participant

Susan

I noticed exactly the same thing this summer, so I dropped a Facebook message to The Garlic Farm, who I bought them from, to ask.

They told me that you can generate new Elephant Garlic from them, but it will take two years to get back up to full size. They also said they’d never tried eating them!!

My response to that was to put them in the bin!!

kiwicoops

I planted those bulblets from a crop some years ago but none of mine germinated. But how many Elephant Garlics do you need. I found it had next to no flavour, I think I read that its a type of leek rather than a variety of garlic?

charles

Thanks for your feedback, the bulblets do sound like a curious anomaly with little use to the gardener.

As you say the elephant garlic is more leek than garlic and with much less flavour than true garlic, which can be a good size itself when well grown!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags