Empty space in a garden

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Empty space in a garden

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dan hazelrowan 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

zuf
    Participant

Thanks Charles for June update and some crucial reminders!  :) My question here is for you personaly or anyone else, how much empty space do you have in a garden in this moment? Is your garden full and you will only use succsession for new plantings and sowings or do you plan ahead in early spring to leave some space empty fot things coming in? Thank you so much!

Aljaž

charles

It depends what you grow but we are still planting some beans, squash and lettuce into previously empty beds. Within a week it is all full, slugs permitting, and thereafter I plant into gaps after harvest. Already today there is a nice gap between first early potatoes, filled with two plants of La Diva cucumber.

zuf
    Participant

Beside early potates and garlic, what are the plants in your garden followed by brassicas? Early potatoes and garlic give me hope i will have enough space for brassicas – mostly late cabbage and brussel sprouts. I’ll see if there will be enough space for amount of plants i want to grow, otherwise next year i have to plan a bit better to live more space, or what? There is cabbage all over the garden allready and i still have more than 50 plants of late one + brussel sprouts, kale, etc. so i’m a bit confused. :)

charles

It souynds like a few too many cabbage already.
    I shall be clearing space from beetroot, lettuce, spinach, peas, broad beans and all potatoes by mid July, a good time to plant overwintering brassicas etc, check underUseful Advice, Second Crops. 

zuf
    Participant

Never enough cabbage here, we love it in the winter, many friends are coming here also, we use it fresh if storing is succsessful, also we make a lot of sauerkraut.

I’m much more confident to plant mid July, but i have plants in modules that are quite ready to go into soil now. They have nice root ball but are not rootbound. If i wait till mid July they will be root bound totaly. Hmm, interesting year here, full of mistakes and oportunities to learn.

I have couple of options now:

1) planting in the shade of potato and other plants and risking root damage later on while harvesting

2) transplant some of these module plants in biger modules and wait till the harvest

3) or just leave them in curent modules and give them a bit of liquid feed and plenty of water when they will need it and wait like this till July?

Any tips?

I sound pretty worried, but actually i’m not, i have lots of fun! :)

I just like to check things with other people and get as much tips/trick from other people’s experience.

Thanks again Charles!

charles

You could do any of those, I would avoid 1) here because of possible slug damage, I hope it goes well.

PS you need a bigger plot!

dan hazelrowan
    Participant

apart from beds set aside for mid/late june planting of lettuce,

I have sown kale for second crop, which i’ll pot up before planting out mid july after peas hopefully, potting up is a good plan

as for plans – well i try and leave some empty beds just for emergency plantings and to give some flexibility in case you change your mind on the go!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags