End of summer

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables End of summer

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  susamp 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

What marks the end of summer for you?
    We have just finished the last of the tomato and summer lettuce and suddenly summer seems to be gone.

charles

I felt it ended a while ago! but autumn has been lovely and mild until a recent tumble in temperature. Outdoor lettuce is still so healthy, most unusual, and I picked Yellow Brandywine yesterday in the tunnel.

Harvesting cabbage hearts today feels like preparing for winter…

SpadelessAde
    Participant

I can’t believe I’m still harvesting raspberries – both summer and autumn varieties. Surely they must finish soon! I want to be able to cut the summer ones down!!

bluebell
    Participant

I am probably harvesting more autumn raspberries now than I did in September, although the quality is not quite so good as they are trying to rot before they are fully ripe, but still amazing for this time of year.

The mild spell also means that I am to some extent getting away with a rather later than planned sowing of some autumn/winter salads.

ruth noble
    Participant

I am still getting a few strawberries from my alpine strawberries in a pot! Actually, for the last month I got more than in the summer as I wasn’t really watering the pot enough and the birds were getting first pickings. They don’t seem to see them now.

charles

Mine are cropping now Ruth and I think the birds are simply full of elderberries and other fruits, apples even, whereas in summer there are less wild fruits and also they are thirstier. I need a better netting arrangement for my blueberries which the blackbirds adored all through July and August.

susamp
    Participant

I have to grow mine in pots cos of alkaline soil. When the berries turn green I bring them into the porch ready to pick for my breakfast!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags