Espalier apples and pears

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Espalier apples and pears

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tess 11 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

tess

Hi Charles (and all!)
    I’ve been reading your veg course book which is a great reminder for the course I came on. I notice in the book how you say you don’t need a framework of wires and post for training fruit trees. I’m planning on growing espalier fruit along the back edge of the veg bed and if I can save on the expense and effort of post/wires all the better! Would you recommend letting the trees establish first and then prune them (like you did at Lower Farm) or train them as espaliers in the traditional way right from the start? I’m guessing I’ll use canes to support/guide the branches. One thing that concerns me though is we’re close to the coast in Cornwall so it can be exposed (although that part of the garden is the most sheltered) and we’ve three young children so the trees may get bashed around a bit!
    I also moved our 4 cordon apples from our old house last year before we moved. I didn’t have time to put posts etc up at the time but they do have their original 6′ canes. So far they seem fine (they’re now three years old) but do you think cordons will need posts eventually as they become heavier with fruit?
    Kind regards
    Tess

charles

Hi Tess
    Nice to hear from you. For espaliers, you can cut off branches which start to grow out and away from the direction you want, then train first sappy branches from August in the first year. Yes to canes which may need a temporary tie to (at right angle to) the trunk to hold them in place at first. It is fiddly but more satisfying, fun and cheaper and nicer looking than using post and wire. Good luck with the wind.

Your cordons may need more support than a six foot cane when they fruit, I would not let them fruit this year, or only a very few apples. They may be keen after a lean year in 2012 but have lost a lot of root I expect.

tess

Thanks as always Charles – your time and advice is much appreciated. Very excited about giving freestyle training a go! Got the growing season now to get on top of the elder in that part of the plot and plan what varieties to go for. Will be looking to get disease resistant ones to combat high rainfall. Anyone on the forum from Cornwall? Would be grateful for any recommendations from this part of the world please.

compostpope
    Participant

I can’t suggest a variety myself, but there is a huge amount of information on varieties on orangepippin.com where you can also buy trees.

Although not specific to espaliers I’ve also found videos from fruitwise.com on youtube about pruning and managing apple and other fruit trees interesting and good viewing over a wet spring weekend…

Enjoy!

Compostpope

tess

many thanks compostpope – will check them out!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags