Exciting first steps

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Exciting first steps

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

I took over an allotment in October and decided, having read this site and one of your books to go with ‘no dig’. I manured most of the beds with a good 3 inches having dug out as many perennial weeds as I could. I am stunned at how well things are growing and how much more ‘wild life’ there is in the soil than there was in October. I have had some slug damage in the recent wet weather but growing in modules then planting out appears to help a lot, as do the organic slug pellets.

I had forgotten how wonderful radish tastes having had far too many years of shop bought ones. I can hardly wait to taste the carrots and peas!

Thank you so much

charles

Thanks for posting this Bluebell, it is really heartening and I am excited to think of you experiencing such wonderful growth. It has been my experience for so long and I feel fortunate to help other gardeners with tips on no dig, as well as other things such as plant raising.

This is turning into a rather difficult spring and your comment on slugs being a problem is increasingly true. Be careful of overdoing the organic slug pellets which, it was recently announced, contain something unfriendly as their ‘chelating agent’. There was a recent post here about success with pellets of old wool…

bluebell
    Participant

The pellets were what was to hand in my hour of need, having lived at the back of the cupboard for some years I was surprised that they appear to be working. Thanks for the warning and I will look in to the wool ones but only intend putting them around new sowings/ plantings while it is so wet.

grannyjanny
    Participant

A tip I picked several years ago was to put ordinary slug pellets in a sealed container, an ice cream carton is ideal. Make a hole in the side & sit back & wait. Place it near you vulnerable plants & empty it every couple of days.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags