feeding toms and peppers

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing feeding toms and peppers

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Suaz 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

can i feed my tomatoes and chilli peppers with just homemade comfrey feed or will i need a commercial tomato feed

charles

The adverts will say otherwise for sure but I never feed my tomatoes growing in composted soil, only if they are in pots, and then with home made comfrey, nettle. 

Suaz

Hi Charles, I have some comfrey and nettle liquid feeds on the go and I was wondering at what stage I need to start feeding my tomatoes in pots? They are growing in West Riding multi-purpose compost. Thanks.

charles

How big are your pots?

Almost certainly, not for a while. West Riding is nutrient rich.

Usually when leaves show first sign of yellow/purple but container size is key.

Suaz

The earliest, sown in early April, are in 5″ pots. I repotted the biggest one today into a 6″ pot and was planning to do the rest tomorrow. They are about 20cm tall measuring from the base of the stem, no flowers yet. There is no yellowing, only some purple to the underside of the first set of leaves. The upper leaves are a bit crinkly, I’m not sure if this is normal for tomatoes. I have to visit my local garden centre to see what young tomato plants look like as I haven’t really observed one close-up before! Some of the seed I sowed (all different varieties) didn’t develop properly or showed stunted growth, so I’m worried about the possibility of a virus.

The ones that did grow are now sitting on a south-facing windowsill and I’m planning to move some to the balcony when it’s warmer and possibly also take my chances by planting some in the ground on the allotment.

charles

I can see from a beginner’s point of view, hearing about the need to feed tomatoes, that you could be persuaded to over do it.

Yours already have more than enough compost, in fact my last few plants from a Feb. sowing have their first flowers and are in 4" pots. 

I think virus is unlikely, perhpas just some dodgy seed, there are always a few that don’t make it.

Probably no feeding until July at the earliest.

Suaz

That’s good to hear because it means I can use my current batch of comfrey and nettle feed on my other needy plants and still have time to make some more for the tomatoes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags