Fine mesh for brassicas

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Fine mesh for brassicas

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jane
    Participant

Hi Charles – I have just bought 1.35mm mesh for my brassicas (usually get bad cabbage white fly damage). I need to get more as not enough and see that someone has used scaffold netting which is much cheaper but I guess this has bigger holes. Why do you suggest 1.35mm, is it to protect against aphids/carrot root fly or is there something else I haven’t thought about that attacks brassicas?

I have been veg gardening for years but a bad back has stopped me from digging – this is my first year of no dig and was a bit sceptical at first, especially with carrots not spitting in manure etc…..I eat my words everything is looking and producing amazingly and I am a complete convert! I am now able to have a much larger patch (hence all the brassicas) as it is less labour intensive. Have bought your books and watch every you tube vid…its fabulous… a very happy Dorset veg grower!!

charles

Hello Jane, nice to hear of your no dig success.
    I am unsure where the 1.35mm comes from unless I have been misquoted. 5mm mesh size is usually enough to prevent passage of butterflies. Steph uses that with great success.
    Scaffold netting has wide mesh and may go brittle more quickly than uv treated horticultural netting.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags