Flatworms – NZ or Ozzie

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Flatworms – NZ or Ozzie

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ruth noble 8 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

whazzat
    Participant

Soon after taking on my present allotment about 3 years ago, I found flatworms – showed them to the Allotment Secretary, who had never seen one before. However, since then, I believe many others have found them. I am concerned about the lack of earthworms on my plot. There are very few, mainly near a grass path. A couple of days ago I killed 29 flatworms hidden under a carpet path (yes, probably not a good idea as it shelters slugs). Some were less than a centimetre.

I have been told that violet (and maybe other kinds of) beetles will eat them and I wonder how to encourage these creatures. Tips, anyone?

The structure of the soil is not great – tends to dry out very quickly and is powdery. Worms would help, I’m sure….as would compost, but I have a job making enough.

Any other ways to deter/exterminate/control flatworms would be appreciated.

charles

I do not have experience of this problem, thank goodness, but did hear someone say that by persistent trapping eg wooden boards, they had almost eradicated them. However on an allotment site I guess the flatworms would recolonise from neighbouring plots, so it’s difficult.
    Any other views welcome!

ruth noble
    Participant

Whizzat, which type of flatworms do you have? I have moved to a new garden and found flatworms which terrified me. A bit of research showed that they are Australian flatworms which are seemingly fairly common around Dublin and aren’t as nasty as their NZ cousins. I regularly find them under my cardboard mulch but I do still have worms, thankfully. Does anyone have any solution other than trying to collect them?

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    I believe you are mistaken about the Australian Flatworm. They are as big a threat as the NZ variety to native earthworms.
    Don.

ruth noble
    Participant

Agh, Don, I was hoping beyond hope. Anyone have a magic solution? I do still have ordinary earthworms, and tiger worms from the wormery are working away on my new beds and in the main compost bin as well, but obviously I need to keep on top of the nasties. Anyone got experience of them?
    Ruth

Don Foley
    Participant

Hi Ruth,
    Like Charles, I thankfully have not come across them personally.
    From what I have read and been told the only way to deal with them is to catch and destroy them.
    Don.

John
    Participant

Hi Ruth

If I had this sort of problem I would give up the allotment and take up surfing 🙂

Flatworm

John

ruth noble
    Participant

Sure what could be more fun than midnight slug and flat worm hunting in the back garden? Maybe it’s time to get an allotment……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags