Flea beetle plague.

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Flea beetle plague.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Anyone else experiencing high volumes of these little fellas this year? I guess the long spell of hot, dry weather has had some influence on this.

They have caused quite a bit of damage to recent Brussels Sprout plantings here. What’s the best preventative measure for this – mesh, the same as keeping cabbage whites off? Thanks.

charles

Yes mesh!
    I have taken to covering all my early-summer plantings with mesh, as it prevents so many pests, such as swede midge too.
    I think that insecticides have killed a lot of predators and made the pests stronger in the end, so it’s harder every year for gardeners.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Many thanks. One to remember for next year, now hoping the sprouts will pull through this time. If it’s not one thing, it’s t’other….

Jacqui
    Participant

What sort of mesh do you use?
    Would it also act a shading?

I have delayed planting out purple sprouting and kale due to the heat and lack of water.
    They are in modules growing in a cold frame covered with green shading mesh at present where I can water them easily.
    Thanks for all your advice.

Jacqui from Gloucestershire

charles

Hi Jacqui and yes mesh slows the flea beetles a little but many sneak under or through or are already in soil. Many of my brassicas look less than perfect just now!
    Good idea to delay, plant this w/e with rain forecast, will enable healthier growth and flea beetles reduce in August.

kioralaura
    Participant

Can you tell me which is the best sort of mesh for flea beetles, cabbage aphids and similar other aphids please Charles – there seem to be so many, and so pricey, so your experience would be invaluable for me, thanks.

charles

Yes almost too much choice..
    Flea beetles are difficult because I think they are often in the soil, or on leaves already, when a cover is placed over.
    Standard guage enviromesh reduces damage but does not stop it. It’s what I use.
    Flea beetles get worse very year and for longer in the winter too. I blame insecticides for interrupting pest predator balance.
    By the way thanks for your post, the first on this updated site.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags