Flea beetle

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Flea beetle

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kate robinson
    Participant

When is the RIGHT time to sow rocket to avoid what I think is flea beetle. Many small holes in all leaves. K

charles

Now is the time Kate! I was sowing some this morning and yes it sounds like flea beetle. They become less numerous from now on so leaves should be more presentable.

kate robinson
    Participant

Ok! Will sow tomorrow. Is there a time early in the year which avoids flea beetle?
    Personally I think rocket is over rated but my customers are asking for it! Thanks Charles. K

charles

I have never had saleable leaves from sowings before late July, except in a polytunnel, or under fleece/fine mesh which has no tears. So I grow wild rocket instead, sow now and it works well as clumps a foot apart in the tunnel, planted September, usually just one cut in autumn. Tidy plants of winter debris in February and new growth through spring gives repeated cuts, in fact I am still cutting now because of the lack of heat, with a few flower stems to remove.

I found wild rocket sown mid July will overwinter outdoors well even without fleece in a ‘normal’ winter. I leave all leaves until about Feb then cut right down and cover with fleece to speed up growth and improve leaf quality. Seems if you don’t cut it back leaves can be odd colours and a bit rough looking. Growing a lot more rocket for the bags this autumn and less orientals. CN seeds do loads of good rocket seeds Kate, including fast growing salad rocket which looks to the demanding customers just like wild rocket! I tried Serrata last year and it grew ok. So much too do…!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags