Fleece through the ages

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Fleece through the ages

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Angela
    Participant

What did no-dig gardeners use before fleece and mesh were invented? No dig dates back to times when these materials wouldn’t have been available, and I’m wondering what was used then.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Great question Angela. I’ve read books by Janes Gunston and F.C. King, both believers in no till veg growing and the use of surface mulching with compost. Cloches, cold frames, greenhouses and hotbed growing would spring to mind as an alternative to fleece and mesh, as well as focusing on soil, and therefore plant, health to help protect against pests as much as possible (Charles is championing this philosophy regularly, for very sound reasons). Additionally, French growers used to use straw mats (1800’s) to help insulate against low night time temperatures; see Eliot Coleman “The Winter Harvest Handbook” for some fascinating info.

Stringfellow
    Participant

P.S. Gunston did cultivate the top layer a bit using his “Crome”.

JD
    Participant

You seem to be very well read Tris. Great stuff.
    Jan

Stringfellow
    Participant

I love knowledge and books allow access to wonderful thinkers and people from across the ages. Charles’ fab books got me started and his brill bibliographies helped me find other jems. They’re all out there waiting to be discovered by those interested enough to find them…enjoy.

Rhys
    Participant

Angela

I have used a mix of leaf/grass as a mulch to protect beetroots in early winter – I found they survived better for longer presumably through preventing heat loss from soil as weather gets colder.

Not much use in spring to protect young seedlings though – more suited to potatoes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags