Flower Sprout

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello Charles, When is ideal for sowing Flower Sprout and what spacings do the plants need? I’m guessing the same as for Brussels?

charles

Robin, yes it is the same sowing date (May is good here) and planting distance as for Brussels, a good two feet. 
    I just pulled out the last plants from last year after picking the remaining flowering shoots for salad. They are vigorous plants.

Great thanks Charles, Very nice looking plants too i think. When do they start and finish cropping? Are you picking for salad leaves from where the sprouts have already been picked off or using the whole flower sprout?

charles

Robin, I am picking small leaves wherever they are, mostly of flower sprouts that have not yet been picked and are beginning to elongate, also off the plants’ main upper stem. There are some whitefly which can be washed off. 

Growth of any established plants, with roots into moisture at lower levels, has been phenomenal in the past week, but new plantings are looking less expansive as they wait for water.

You are a star in May’s Grow It!

Thanks for the Flower sprout advice! Funny how you find yourself thinking months into the future when you are growing, planting spring lettuce and thinking about what will follow them. Big thank you as well for taking the interest and time to do the article in Grow It. Got a copy yesterday and it looked great! Thanks also to yourself and everyone who contributes to these forums. Always gives you something new to think about when picking salad leaves in a blizzard!
    Robin
    P.s Snow has gone here now!

Dazzerelli
    Participant

Robin, I read your flower sprouts posting and just afterwards was in Waitrose and noticed that they are selling small trays of flower sprouts now. Very posh.

Really enjoyed the article in Grow It! You’ve done a terrific job on your garden, it looks fantastic, great pictures. Love the bath.

Darren

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags