Following Charles calendar

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Following Charles calendar

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

colin
    Participant

Having a senior moment hoping someone can help.

I am following Charles calendar, so on 14 Feb I sowed the seeds stated, in trays in the green house.

For 9 March it says most of the same seeds without u (undercover) instruction.

Does this mean I should sow the February seeds that are now small plants into the ground outside and reseed the trays for next month?

Vinther
    Participant

Hi Colin,

I’ve had the same thoughts, and come to the conclusion that the calendar reflects Charles’ personal work scheme. As a market gardener he needs a lot of plants and properly split them into several batches in order not to have a zillion plants to be sowed, pricked, transplanted and harvested at the same time.

I only sow a particular vegetable the first time it it mentioned in the calendar for the first crop. This is my first season as a ‘Charles Dowding follower’ and my challenge will be to work out from Charles’ calendar if a subsequent sowing recommendation represents the second (autumn/winter) crop, or is one of several first batches.

Does this make sense?

Regards
    Erik

colin
    Participant

Hi Eric,

Your explanation makes sense, I’m thinking just follow on a smaller scale, if I have to many I can pass them onto others on the plot.

Looking at what I have done so far I’m thinking this could be the explanation.

None of the seeds planted on Feb 16 are ready to go outside so the 9 March suggestions are for sowing seed direct into the ground.

I am going to sow 9 march suggestions in green house hoping this will give me 4 weeks between future sowing.

Regards you concern about autumn/winter sowing this seems to be covered later on in the calendar example 31 July.

I am sure we will both have lots of success (& few failures) using Charles calendar and be much wiser this time next year.

charles

Thanks all and yes Vinther has it that sowings for 9th March have no U. before so they are outside not undercover.
    Dates are always the first/earliest, like reminders it’s time to sow those veg now or soon, so everything listed say for 9th March can be sown outside any time for about 2-3 weeks in this case.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags