French Equivalent to pea moth, onion fly or carrot fly?

Community Community Garden Problems Pests French Equivalent to pea moth, onion fly or carrot fly?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Di
    Participant

Is there such a thing? It seems unlikely that France wouldn’t have it’s fair share of these pests. Anyone care to share their experience?

Charles, may i take this opportunity to thank you for inspiring us to go ‘no dig’ and being so generous with sharing your information and experiences. We’re in Year 1 and after an initial effort hauling in organic matter such as municipal green waste, fumier and wonderful 3yo leaf mould, we really feel chuffed at what we’ve achieved in less than 12mo. It’s interesting to watch the traditionalists here in rural France (Tarn) as we prepared and planted well ahead and are now harvesting mangetout (Sweet Horizon, Shiraz, Sugar Bon, Oregon Sugar Pod) , coriander (Leisure & Confetti) , salads (var), strawberries and blette, Shelling peas have reached 6ft and pods swelling beautifully with recent rain. French beans, courgettes, beetroot & cucumber growing on strongly. Saw our first tomato on one of the many bushes we’ve planted.

Without you, Charles, we wouldn’t be enjoying ourselves so much as we produce delicious food. Any advice you could offer re the prevalence of the above pests gained from your time in Lot & Garonne would be appreciated.

charles

Thanks for your comments Di and congratulations on all that bounty.

As for the pests, they have at least as many of these in general but where I was the onion fly was not bad. Carrot root fly is endemic, less bad in summer than in autumn so cover with mesh by August for winter carrots.
    I remember some pea moth but sowing in Feb or March helped have half the harvest before they established.
    Leek moth was terrible so worth meshing them as soon as planted.
    Vas-y!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags