freshly dug ground.

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing freshly dug ground.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  grannyjanny 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

grannyjanny
    Participant

We decided the best way to go with our new half plot was to double dig it & added lots of home made compost. John removed lots of the horrible weed but obviously more will come through. We’ve made raised beds, we = Royal we. Does the ground need walking on to get rid of any air pockets? Is bf&b suitable at this time of year as a top dressing?

charles

I would certainly walk on the ground as it is dry. My brain is not yielding an answer to what b&b is?

grannyjanny
    Participant

Blood, fish & bone Charles. We also have a bag of 6x fertiliser & chicken manure pellets, is it worth using either of those as the ground has been neglected for many years. Also is there anything at all to prevent rust on leeks please. I only planted them about 2 weeks ago.

charles

Bfb, 6x, chicken manure pellets are all concentrated food and best used where plants are growing. So if you are now planting, yes spread them, otherwise the weeds will benefit, and they don’t have a mulching effect, unlike compost.

Leek rust is more common in dry soil so either water, and’or spread a compost mulch, or even a grass or hay or leaf mulch as leeks are not too troubled by slugs.

grannyjanny
    Participant

Thank you Charles. Planting this weekend after heavy rain today. I’ve kept the leeks well watered so fingers crossed but will mulch.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags