FROST Should I fleece?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables FROST Should I fleece?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John
    Participant

Hi Charles The Met Office is forecasting 3°C overnight Tuesday/Wednesday at Castle Carey, near Homeacres, and 4°C in sunny Exmouth. This might well give a ground frost. The early potatoes are well above their ridges and the main crop is also earthed up to the maximum with plenty of foliage above. To fleece or not to fleece, that is the question. This is not the best day, later this evening, for me to be off on holiday for a week, but at least the temperatures in Minorca are 27, with night time lows of 17! If I do fleece the fleece will be tight against the foliage and the frost got through a few weeks ago, but with minimum damage here in Exmouth. An alternative is a double thickness of debris/scaffolding netting, a close mesh which I use as a very effective wind break. I can get someone to take the fleece/netting off on Wednesday after the potential frost and the forecast is better thereafter. Best wishes John

charles

Thanks for this John, unlike me I had not noticed and yes its possibly going to freeze briefly at ground level. Light enough that either cover should work. The frost we had two weeks ago even penetrated cardboard but it protected the leaves enough to be worthwhile and its the most effective cover I know, but you need a lot! I shall fleece mine tomorrow afternoon, they don’t need frosting again. I must stress that Homeacres is in a frost hollow and those of you in towns or on hills should be fine (I think! check the forecast).

jnapps
    Participant

Hi Charles,

First time poster. Can I ask whether I should go for 35gsm or 17gsm for light frosts. Does it matter?

Thanks,
    Jon

charles

Hello Jon, the 30 or 35gsm is better for holding some warmth and worth paying more for, should tear less and last longer too. It has value in winter for keeping wind off too, needs securing well though.

jnapps
    Participant

Thanks for your help Charles.

I just picked up some 35gsm from here – http://www.qvsshop.co.uk/frost-protection-1955-p.asp. What sort of things should I secure it with? Something like wood batons or bricks?

Thanks again for your help,
    Jon

charles

I find its quick, easy and cheap to secure with bricks, stones, fenceposts etc, whatever is to hand. Say a brick every metre.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags