Frost temperatures

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Frost temperatures

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bluebell 10 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

At what temperature does frost occur? I have potatoes and celeriac plants unprotected and a forecast of night time temperatures dipping to 4 degrees at the weekend (similar to the BBC forecast for Castle Cary by the way) whilst I’m back in the UK.

Should I put the fleece back on before I leave?

Compostpope

charles

I think there is some wind with these low temperatures, so no grass frost which needs calm air. I am not covering my potatoes, the forecast says 3C tonight. Celeriac is fleeced and needs it against the wind.

compostpope
    Participant

The wind here is forecast to be as low as 3mph – does that constitute “calm air”?

charles

sounds calm but its a lot of guessing too

compostpope
    Participant

Thanks Charles.

On reflection I’ll get over to the plot and put the fleece back on after work, whilst french beans, sweet corn and curbits (which I’d expected to plant out 2 weeks ago and are still on my balcony) will have to spend the weekend at my mum-in-law’s. It’s a frustrating time, waiting for the weather to warm up – we’ve not had such a slow start to spring for years.

Compostpope

bluebell
    Participant

Hi Compostpope

I think we are all in the same situation, waiting for it to warm up.

My grow house and windowsills are full to overflowing and I am reaching a point where I think I will just have to take a risk and put courgettes etc out under fleece and hope for the best. If they stay where they are I think they will flower within the week and probably topple themselves off of the windowsill.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags