frosty kale

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables frosty kale

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ladbrokes 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

my frosty kale is growing superbly well. my qusetion is when can i start to harvest and how much at a time per plant

charles

I just started picking lower leaves off Redbor and Cavalo Nero. Some years I have picked them hard, leaving just a few small leaves at the top of plants by December, but this does make for slower regrowth. It depends when you most want leaves. Cavalo Nero also makes sideshooting stems with smaller leaves.

Also this year I am growing True Siberian (Real Seeds) and Westland Winter kales, so they will be interesting to compare against each other. And there are a few plants of tree cabbage…

ladbrokes

thanks charles. have you grown frosty before. my other kale is red russian which i know is not ready till feb time.

charles

I had not heard of frosty kale Ladbrokes, I thought you were making a reference to the winter ahead! Red Russian can be picked a little now but as you suggest its main value in for small new leaves and then also shoots in late winter and early spring.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags