fruit tree positioning

Community Community General Gardening Fruit fruit tree positioning

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

bluebell
    Participant

Hi I am awaiting the delivery of my new fruit trees and just confirming layout in my head but getting very confused about what constitutes sheltered.

I have 3 apples, 2 pears and a plum. I believe that the plum and pears are likley to benefit from a bit of shelter. My plot is quite exposed to the south and west so should I protect from the prevailing westerlies? North and east has some protection from a sheds and a big hedge about 10 to 20 meters away respectively.

My plan is to effectively plant 2 rows or 3 trees, so 1 row will be offering some shelter to the other but should the apples go to the south of others or vice versa? Should the plum go at teh west end of the row or east?

Will it actually make much difference?

charles

Actually it will not make a huge difference. Pears and plums do like more warmth, they all like sun, and they all like shelter from all wind of any quarter. I would plant them however you feel is right for the site.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags