Fungus tubes and sprouting onion like shoots?

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Fungus tubes and sprouting onion like shoots?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cleansweep 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Lolo
    Participant

I know I’m late but yesterday I was raking over my no dig beds to loosen the few weeds and came across a couple of things I was unsure of. Firstly there were several shoots that looked like onion shoots. I haven’t planted onions in these beds but they were deeply rooted, about 6-7 inches and had small bulbs at the base. There was no onion or garlic smell – I first thought it might be wild garlic. I really don’t know where they came from or what they are?
    Secondly in one corner of one bed there were several fungal growths that looked like brown tubes. Again unsure of what they were so dug them up and pur in the garden waste bin along with much of the soil they covered but what are they and why have they appeared?

Cleansweep
    Participant

I do like guessing games when its too dark to work!!
    a) Might they be leek seedlings ? or chives?
    b) I have found plenty of fungi of many different varieties since no-digging. These range from little black watery growths seen in manure heaps, through a diverse range of coloured toadstools to a bonus crop of portabello mushrooms in the last two weeks.(peelings from shop bought went into compost approx 18 months ago…) The woodchip paths seem to be particularly favourable after a few months.

Lolo
    Participant

Cleansweep, thankyou for taking the time to answer. Neither leek or chive I’m afraid, they were newly created no dig beds last year and were planted with beetroot, sweet corn and courgettes, no leeks or chives were in the vicinity.
    Re the fungus I was worried that I may not be able to plant this year because of it – I am very new to gardening and unsure of what’s ok and what’s not.

Cleansweep
    Participant

Could it be that they have emerged from the previous planting prior to the raised beds ? If this area was a previous flower bed, I wonder if they could be Miscari, or grape hyacinth?
    Why not let a few mature and see what they do.Please let us all know.
    Cleansweep

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags