Garlic

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ElizaD 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ElizaD
    Participant

Hello Charles/all

I enquired on this forum about shop bought garlic and thought I might give it a go. I duly purchased two very white looking bulbs from a farm shop and a purple tinged bulb from Sainsbury’s and planted the cloves on the 11th October. I planted them with the very tips just level with surrounding soil and then placed rock dust and about an inch or so of well rotted horse manure on top. It then hammered down with rain for a couple of days. I was sure I read that I might not see growth for several weeks but when out in the garden today I saw about half a dozen shoots poking though already. Not having grown garlic before I am just a little concerned I might not have planted deeply enough. Is it normal to see growth already?

Thanks, Eliza

charles

I see no problem with that, it’s an early variety to harvest around mid June I expect.

ElizaD
    Participant

Thanks, Charles. Took me by surprise though. I have a plastic sheet I could use over this bed – would that help to keep any rust at bay should the weather turn bad?

Eliza

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags