Garlic gone rotten

Community Community Garden Problems Pests Garlic gone rotten

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jonesyboy27 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jonesyboy27
    Participant

Last year it rotted uncovered this year it rotted but I covered with enviro mesh what has happened. I purchased the cloves from The Garlic Farm
    Any help much appreciated

charles

What is your soil, is drainage good? Reasonable organic matter content?
    I think it must be a soil problem. Do you have a photo.

Matthew
    Participant

Hi jonesyboy,

The rot you are seeing is possibly white rot I would say. I have this in patches in my own garden. Its a soil borne fungus. I have raised beds with compost on top for 5 years now and still experience this in some beds. Look for a white fluffy like material on the bulbs, this is white rot. It does seem to persist in the soil, assuming your growing in the ground.
    Of course it could be that you simply harvested too late which will see bulbs split.
    I also grow it commercialy and this year I havested two weeks earlier than last year due to the early heat here in West Sussex. Try growing this years crop some place different if possible or if your short on space garlic grows well in containers.

John
    Participant

I would tend to agree with Matthew and you can confirm this diagnosis if the same happens with other alliums, onions and leeks, in the same area.
    The photos show onion white rot but white rot on garlic is much the same.
    white rot
    white rot

I have had onion white rot on these three crops over three years in different parts of my plot; it must endemic to my plot. I am lucky to have a new second plot and all three are growing well.

Jonesyboy27
    Participant

Clay soil well dug unfortunately no photos as I burned the garlic had a white rot appearance and the neck came away from the bulb

Regards

Ian

Jonesyboy27
    Participant

Thanks for the photo looks the same thanks for the info I will grow at home in October rather than the allotment.

Such a shame I love garlic back to the shop for another year

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags