Garlic gone soft

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Garlic gone soft

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

lizzy
    Participant

Hi all – hoping for some advice please – I grew garlic from cloves saved from last year. They grew well and the bulbs were firm when I harvested. I stored some in a dark garage and a few in the kitchen but they have all gone soft – not rotting and not mildewy. On another forum someone reckons the bulbs can get ‘cooked’ if left out in the hot sun. Is this likely? The soft cloves look pale yellow and a couple of bulbs have more solid cloves on one side – as if not so exposed to the suns’ heat. Any ideas please?

charles

Lizzy, you have not told us how long the bulbs were in bright sun? Outside or in a greenhouse?
    They need a lot of hot sun for that to happen. In the UK it’s rare. I heard of it in S. France, le coup de soleil.
    For example mine were ten days in full sun and are firm now.

lizzy
    Participant

hi Charles – I am not sure exactly how long but at least a week and yes outside – I left them on top of the soil – they had some rust on them so I decided to harvest them early – they were not very big but still a useful size; the allotment seems to have a ‘micro-climate’ as it is sheltered and always seems much hotter than my garden 5 mins away, and also has a fence which shelters my plot even more. well they are all on the compost heap now 🙁

charles

Ah sorry to hear that. I don’t think it was sun, I have had it happen sometimes but later in autumn.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags