Garlic harvest

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Garlic harvest

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Took 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Nick
    Participant

Today I decided to lift my Solent Wight autumn planted garlic. The main bed at my allotment, shared with onions, has been heavily rusted for weeks and produced an extremely poor crop, some of which had rotted. I’m not sure any of it is worth keeping. However, the few that I had planted well away from the onions on my adjoining plot fared better; no rust and a moderate crop. The stars however were the few I had over which went into the polytunnel which were rust free and a good size crop. This despite only occasional watering through the winter due to lack of water supply. I shall certainly grow them there in future

Green pasture
    Participant

Good to know. We planted our first garlic this winter.

I planted some outdoors, fleeced until late April, in Jan (I think) and pulled one off the end of the row last weekend to check on them. Only a small swelling and definitely no bulb on that one. Nothing like the photos Charles posted… I’ve left the rest in but I’m guessing they won’t grow much more anyway? I’m in no rush to free the space up but they have a mild rust. Next year I will plant in Autumn as we were waiting for the allotment paperwork last year.

Can the immature bulbs still be cooked?

Cleansweep
    Participant

“Can the immature bulbs still be cooked? ”
    Yes, and the green stem chopped for salads/stirfry

Allan Took
    Participant

Hi, I lifted my garlic this morning – about 50 bulbs, 3 or 4 different saved varieties. The crop was not brilliant but acceptable given a difficult year and it was autumn planted and no rust. However about half a dozen of the bulbs had produced a small clump of bulbils within the stem about 2 or 3 inches above the bulb. I have never seen this before and was curious to know why. Has anyone any experience of this ? I will try and post photos!

Allan Took
    Participant

<blowetrqckquote>

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags