Geenhouse ventilation

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Geenhouse ventilation

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mart 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mart

Hi Charles,

I have a question regarding greenhouse ventilation. I have a 4×10 polytunnel, straight sides which can easily rolled up. I read in your books you have two meshed doors
    which are always open. For various reasons I can’t have two doors but I wonder would it be advisable to leave one side open and maybe the door? Problem for me is that in my area there are quite cunning animals who love my vegetables probably even more than I do so I need to create something to keep them out. I spot some mildew on some salads and there is quite a buildup of water in top of the greenhouse, not a huge problem but when it will start to freeze the water drops on the plants where it freezes, not all survive as I have noticed last year. I assume making the one door I have out of mesh is not an option? Do you have a picture somewhere on your site of your doors?
    Thanks.

charles

Hello Mart

Yes, ventilation is most important and salads like draughts more than humans. I leave the doors open all the time on a 14 foot tunnel, which has a wooden frame with mesh in each doorway:

this was January 2010 – salads lacking light!

and the other 18 foot tunnel has four doors, of which one is mesh rather than plastic. It was two but I found enough ventilation from just one of the four doors meshed at both ends, also they do not fit very well!

these doors are made of 3 inch Douglas Fir from a local sawmill Land Logic tel. 01749 860193 for anyone in Somerset.

You could do something similar and open a corner of one side perhaps at the end where your door is closed.

mart

Wow Charles, always such fantastic service from you, thank you! If I may I don’t get the last bit ‘You could do something similar and open a corner of one side perhaps at the end where your door is closed.’Could you explain please?

Thanks for the trouble.
    Btw very jealous of you Filderkraut, it’s huge! I only have two, rest stopped growing because of heat or have been eaten by a predator who has been roaming the garden lately. Most of the veg left is in the greenhouse or is Red Russian Kale which for some reason doesn’t get eaten.

charles

Hi Mart, yes that makes no sense I was thinking you had a ventilated side- bottom. Some ventilation is needed at the far end to allow passage of some air. And the cabbage is thanks to perfect cabbage weather! Easier than in a dry climate.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags