Germinating Spinach

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Germinating Spinach

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  charles 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

plantmark
    Participant

Charles, I sowed most of your reccomendations early in February and achieved good germination rates with everything except Spinach. I sowed a recent purchase from Thompson & Morgan of Medania, 3 seeds into each of a 15 cell tray and kept them in my kitchen at a stable 21 degrees and I only have 4 seedlings.

plantmark
    Participant

Tried again and not getting good germination.

What is the best temperature to germinate Spinach?

Maybe my seed is at fault?

charles

Sorry to hear, if you tried the same seed twice it may be the problem, maybe buy some seed at Lidl or equivalent as a control, sow that and see?

plantmark
    Participant

Thank you Charles I will try that. Does Spinach usually give a high germination rate.?

charles

Yes, say 90% should be achievable.

Rhys
    Participant

Plantmark

I used seeds from Suttons and got 90% germination. Maybe just try a different company?!

David Clarke
    Participant

I used T&M Medania and also had very poor germination rates, tried a different variety and had no problems – suspect T&M seed is duff!

Hawfinch
    Participant

Could it be that it’s Medania that’s difficult to get to germinate? I bought some seeds from Sarah Raven a couple of years ago and had very poor germination, haven’t had the problem with other kinds of spinach.

charles

Hmm not all T&M seed is duff but that does sound like a suspect batch.
    I saved my own Medania seed and it germinated 90% last August when a year old.
    I think its more a question of seed age then variety/cultivar.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags