Getting land ready for vegetables – old field.

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Getting land ready for vegetables – old field.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rhys 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Steve
    Participant

Hello:)

This will be my first post, but hopefully not the last!

I am planning to start a new veggie patch this year. I have a section of land that has been used to grow hay but generally unattended to.

What would be the best approach to work this land into something useable? The area I would like to grow on is about 100-150 square feet, maybe a bit more.

Can I used the no dig method on a plot like this? I have 2 medium sized compost heaps currently going but I don’t think that they will provide enough compost in time. I have access to horse manure locally if that’s necessary. I know I don’t want raised boxes but raised beds might be useful in terms of heat and drainage – it is not the best on this land. If I were to go the no dig way, could I cut the grass (put it on the compost) then put down cardboard, cover with compost and then cover with plastic tarp? Will that be enough to leave it until I transplant the seedlings?

This is all very new for me, but your site and books have been a great source of information so far!

Also, I am in Poland so the zone is probably a bit different to the UK – more like 6/7 (depending on the source)

Thanks!

charles

Hello Steve and yes, no dig on that plot (good photo!) will wok fine. I would leave the grass in place and it looks flattened so perhaps no need to cut it.
    Your plan is good, more details here though you may already have seen https://forum.charlesdowding.co.uk/no-dig-growing/no-dig-growing-preparation/ page

Steve
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the advice! I got my tarp but didn’t manage to get it down before the snow. Starting to thaw early though so will be soon on my way.

Thanks again!

P.s great site and video series.

Rhys
    Participant

Steve, one thing you will find is that drainage improves over a few years as you practice no dig. My patch regularly had ponds on it in wet winters when digging was occurring (very heavy clay soil), but after four years no dig, drainage is very good and the soil is even workable in late January, not that I wish to work it (just hoeing and raking after winter harvests prior to composting).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags