getting new greenhouse – what sort?

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing getting new greenhouse – what sort?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  wendyp 11 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I urgently need to replace my old greenhouse (aluminium and glass) which I had for over 25 years as it unfortunately burnt down the night before last. It is difficult making a decision when there is such a choice about and when pressed for time (heigth of sowing season etc) and completely stressed – which company to go for, what sort of frame and glazing – aluminium or resin, glass or polycarbonate??????
    I like the idea of double walled polycarbonate because of its insulationg aspects – having to line glass walls and roof every autumn is such a hassle – but would a ‘light weight’ structure be able to stand up to the strong winds we keep getting???
    What is everyone elses experience and opinion???

ahlia

Hi
    If your in a windy area i would say definitely glass and dependent on the budget toughened safety glass.
    Personally i have tried polycarbonate which is o.k but glass is by far the best choice.
    Roy

charles

I agree with Roy and would go for glass. Are you insulating/lining in autuumn because you have citrus and frost sensitive plants? Because otherwise it is not worth doing, winter vegetables such as salads can put up with a lot of low temperatures, they just love the shelter of glass from wind and rain; I have never insulated for winter – or limewashed for summer either, just lovely glass letting all the light in.

I hope you are getting over the trauma of fire and hope your house is ok.

Many thanks Roy. Well, my backgarden is in suburbia of SE-London and surrounded by tall trees and as such somewhat sheltered and not in an open very windy area but we do sometimes get strong winds. Last year in early summer our staghorn sumach tree was blown over by strong winds …
    Victoria

Thanks Charles! Yes, I do overwinter citrus and other frost sensitive plants in my greenhouse and therefore lining it with bubble wrap. Well, used to. I’m not sure what of these will survive the trauma of the fire. Everything is/was covered in a nasty layer of soot and is looking rather sad but I’m sure I’ll eventually replace some of them…. My lemon tree had quite a few lemons on it for the first time…
    Many thanks for your concern. I was devasted yesterday – all my seedlings etc. lost – I’m also growing more flowers this year as youngest daughter is getting married in the summer and I’m supplying the flowers for the decoration…. Luckily the sweetpeas were already outside and the dahlia tubers are in the porch / dining room…. The greenhouse is at the bottom of the garden and quite a distance away from the house, so luckily no problem there.

ahlia

Hi Victoria
    Glad you are getting on with things as long as no one was hurt,these things happen.
    As for the citrus plants couldn’t you just cover “them” with fleece inside the greenhouse and not the whole thing?
    I am sure glass is the way to go.
    Roy

Thanks Roy, you’ve convinced me! We looked at some greenhouses today and glass also looks so much better. I might just have to put up with lining it.
    One of my dreams for the new greenhouse is to have a thermostatically controlled hot bench instead of a hit and miss propagator tray on the kitchen window sill. Does anyone have any experience with something like this and is there a reasonably priced DIY way of building this easily???

wendyp
    Participant

Sorry you lost your greenhouse. I recently bought a Rhino and I’d thoroughly recommend them. Expensive, but so much better than my old greenhouse, which looks very apologetic sitting next to it. They do heated benches too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags