Globe Artichokes.

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Globe Artichokes.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  charles 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Andy
    Participant

Hi Charles and forumites, This year I grew 5 Globe Artichokes that were supplied as plug plants.After they died back in the autumn I mulched them with my compost hoping they’ll survive their first winter,and grow back next year.Fast forward to the end of December and each plant now has between 10 and 12 inches of healthy top growth!! Obviously it must be the very mild weather we’re having? but what do I do now? Do I leave it to nature or what.Thanks in advance and a Happy New Year to you all.

charles

I would leave them Andy. They resist some frost and since they are now so large, its difficult to wrap them.
    It depends a bit where you are, in terms of frost susceptibility. Here in Somerset my artichokes are doing the same and I let them grow.

Andy
    Participant

Thanks Charles for the prompt reply.I’m near Pontefract in West Yorkshire and over the years we’ve had some cold winters.Having said that the last few winters have been mild with just the odd icy week or two.I suppose if it does turn really cold and the new growth dies it will recover in the summer giving a later crop maybe.

charles

Yes that I think is the best way to look at it, nothing is perfect every year but most plants grow well for us. Its wonderful when they do.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags