Goat Manure/Straw/Hay

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Goat Manure/Straw/Hay

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Anderson 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Becky Rutter
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m completely new to no dig and in fact growing anything! I plan on cultivating an area of field so am starting from scratch. I have goats who are bedded on straw and a plentiful supply of horse manure also, but the horses are bedded on wood shavings.
    Can I spread a layer of week old goat manure/straw on the area I want to cultivate and then cover for the winter? Will this work? I have only just started my compost so it won’t be ready in time to get started for next year.
    Also does hay count as green content for compost heaps? I can get hold of quite a lot of wasted hay from the stables.
    I think I have made a mistake by layering goat manure/straw and leaves as I thought leaves counted as green waste :/
    Any advice is most welcome
    Thank you!!

charles

Becky, I would stack the fresh manure and buy some compost for mulching now.
    Fresh manure well stacked now, in good proportions, should heat and could be ready my May.
    Leaves can be green or brown depending what leaf they are and whether green or brown in colour… tree leaves November are mostly ‘brown’.
    Hay is maybe 70% brown.

Christine
    Participant

Hi Becky if it makes you feel any better I did exactly the same! spread horse manure on my beds before i realised it was better to let it rot 1st.
    I got some great tips for managing manure (see “dodgy manure” thread) and the stuff I stacked (and have turned twice) looks like it is ready. Certainly there is no smell from it. I think if you “compost” the manure now it may well be ready for spring.
    Even if it isn’t quite there you can be happily smug that you have a pile of good stuff waiting for you for next autumn.
    Get the cardboard down and at least the weeds will be dying
    And welcome! you’ll be surprised by how many novices there are here and also how helpful all the experts are.
    Good luck!

Becky Rutter
    Participant

Brilliant thank you 🙂 we have 40 horses stabled plus a commercial kitchen on site so I have literally tonnes of waste to use.
    I’ll see if I can find another area to compost in.

Stringfellow
    Participant

With that much potential horse manure and effort to move it, I’d consider checking a sample or two for AP content. Someone else on here went to huge lengths to shift tonnes of rotted horse manure only to find it was all contaminated with AP. Just sayin…

Becky Rutter
    Participant

Yes I will do. It’s our land so I can find out exactly what’s been put on it grazing wise but we do buy in haylage and hay which I assume will have come from sprayed ground perhaps.
    I know that the goats are on unsprayed ground. Is it the same case for their manure? They are fed the same hay as the horses.

Kevin Anderson
    Participant

Hello Becky.
    If you have 40 horses at your farm, you are in manure heaven!
    My suggestion for the long-term: build yourself a series of bins to manage the manure, bedding etc.
    Within half a year the effort and expense of building bins etc. will be rewarded by compost suitable for “no dig gardening”.
    Have a look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9_yWQATxNI
    This might help to get you started.
    All compost making, in my experience, is an attempt to optimise (i) raw materials input, (ii) labour to collect, assemble and turn (at least twice) the raw materials, (iii) cost of bins, (iv) time to mature, and (v) use the finished product.
    If time and energy permits, any photographs of your arrangement, inputs and finished product would be warmly welcomed (in my opinion) by all readers of this forum.
    If it helps, and as a guide for your endeavours, a cubic metre of inputs (horse manure, bedding, straw, sawdust etc.) will give you slightly less than half a cubic metre of finished product, suitable for applying on the surface of your garden area. (In other words, to spread a cubic metre of finished, mature compost, you will probably need slightly more than 2 cubic metres of raw inputs, plus 4 to 6 months of time.)
    Please keep us informed of progress, if time and energy permits.
    Good luck with your compost making and “no dig gardening” adventure!
    Kevin
    Tasmania (41 deg. south, with a blustery maritime climate, close to Bass Strait)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags