going to seed

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables going to seed

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ladbrokes 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

Today I noticed that my overwintering garlic and onions are going to seed I had a dig down and the garlic hasn’t bulbed up either, anyone else having these problems

jjat8cv
    Participant

My overwintering onions are going to seed as well. Not sure about the garlic it seems to be OK at the moment.

bluebell
    Participant

My elephant Garlic is looking like it may be heading that way, but I just break off the flower whan it comes up and it will carry on making a bulb. The closed flower shoots can be used in salads and cooking.

Having said that I have never seen the garlic looking so well and big at this time of year, it clearly enjoyed a wet mild winter.

charles

For garlic, did you plant hardneck variety Ladbrokes? They make flower stems in May, scapes which you can snap off to eat, I think that encourages bulbs to swell. Elephant garlic makes a flower stalk in early summer.

For the onions, either you sowed or planted a little early, or.. it is the weather! My overwintered spring onion are fine so far, sown 25th August.

ladbrokes

Garlic is germidour onion is radar 

I have snapped off all seed heads and hope they bulb up OK. Planted same time as previous years and had no problems in the past

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags