Good Books To Read on Gardening

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Good Books To Read on Gardening

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Leif 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

englishlady

Having been mooching round Amazon online to see if I could find a good guide to composting, I was highly embarassed to find a ton of really great books by Charles himself.  And some of them are really not expensive.  I had no idea what an accomplished and prolific writer you are.

Ended up ordering 4 and must say how lucky we are to be able to ‘talk’ to such a very kind, accomplished, thoughtful and highly respected person.  I for one am honoured to be on this Forum.  And VERY grateful that Charles himself pops in to answer questions for us.

When my books arrive, I will list them here, for everyone to see.  I am so excited I cant wait to read them, thank you Charles, you must be such a busy person.

Best wishes and many thanks to you for the time you devote to us.

Julie

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hello Julie. I can certainly vouch for the books by Charles; they have been most helpful and answered many questions I had about certain ‘how to’s’ etc. Of course, a book can’t answer every query and these forums certainly are most valuable in that respect.

I also found lots of useful info under the banners at the top of the site; this month archives, useful advice and no-dig vegetables were particularly helpful.

I hope you enjoy the books as much as I and good luck with your gardening.

Rhys
    Participant

1. Composting with Worms, George Pilkington (Eco-Logic Books).

2. ‘An Agricultural Testament’ by Sir Albert Howard (Other India Press).

3. THe Rodale Book of Composting (Rodale Press).

4. Hot Beds by Jack First (Green Books).

Charles’ books are also fantastic.

Obviously, everyone has their own individual takes on things, but from what I can gather, the aim has to be to optimise the ecosystem of beneficial bacteria and fungi in your growing area, although the application of scientific rigour to the analysis of compost, soil etc is still in its relative infancy in terms of turning compost production into a meticulous, uniform, reliable, scientific process.

Leif
    Participant

The book I refer to most is Organic Gardening by Geoffrey Hamilton, old but not out of date, and full of useful information. I have some ‘expert’ books, but for some reason I just find they are not very useful when it comes to actually doing gardening. I recently ordered Organic Gardening by Charles. I have read the first few chapters, and I think it will be very useful, I get the impression it is written by someone with a lot of experience, so the information is based on what actually works. It is also well organised (like Hamilton’s book), and not too wordy.

Why do you need an entire book on composting? The one thing I would like is a guide to making a hot composter i.e. a composter with some insulation to keep the temperature high. I once had a heap about 4 foot high by 8 foot wide, and it got very hot inside. But my 900L bin does not get hot in the cooler months. I wonder if strapping insulation around a dalek would do the job?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags