Grass Snake in Compost Bin

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Grass Snake in Compost Bin

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jjat8cv 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jjat8cv
    Participant

I have two pallet bins stacked with now rotted manure and one of rotted compost. I was going to use the manure to top up my raised beds but on uncovering one of them I found a grass snake and on uncovering the compost found a shed skin and a slow worm. I understand that grass snakes are a protected species and that at this time of year there may be eggs in the compost/manure. I really need to use the compost/manure before replanting the beds. Can I use it or must I leave it in case there are eggs in it?

charles

Unusual question, I don’t know, sorry. I would be tempted to invite it to leave, somehow. Should be slithering out and about at this time of year, lots to eat out there!

Daucus

She may well be incubating eggs at the moment – they hatch in late summer. I have the same problem here, an adder in one bin and a grass snake over the other side of the garden in the compost heap. If you are in Somerset you are welcome to take some manure from the one pile here that doesn’t have snakes in it.

jjat8cv
    Participant

Thank you for your offer Daucus. I do have another bin I can use which seems to be “vacant” at the moment. I think from further research on the net that my snake is male but I will leave well alone for the time being just in case. Incidently  there are also two slow worms in there as well. It looks really strange to see them curled up together.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags