Green Compost

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  plantmark 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

plantmark
    Participant

Charles,
    I have now removed all of the contaminated manure on my plot and in my greenhouse and started to replace with green compost.

I have some veg plants growing in the greenhouse which includes a trial with Broad Beans to test for herbicide. They are not looking good. Growth tips are curling which could indicate that there is a weedkiller of some sort present. Salad crops of lettuce, parsley, rocket are looking ok so far.

I have to work around this somehow as I dont have any alternative for bulk organic matter. Dow Chemicals suggest that manure containing AP is rotavated to mix with soil. The micro organisms in the soil will then break down the AP over time. I can buy the Green Waste mixed with a good quality top soil so I am thinking that this may be an option for me in the event that further purchases of Green Compost may contain herbicide. I am thinking that a mix of 25% Top Soil and 75% Green Compost would work in the hope that micro organisms are introduced with the top soil.

My second load of Green Compost became so hot that it began to carbonise so most if not all of the micro organsims must have been killed. It is delivered quite dry so that it can be sifted easily, so I gave it a good soaking.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this.

Broad Beans

Broad Beans

RandA
    Participant

Plantmark

we use the Green compost from the council and yes it does get very hot and looks like it is carbonnising but if you leave it for a few weeks it cools down and believe me. it does not necessarily kill the fungi and mychorzial roots as we get lots of fungi growing after laying it down and everyone comments on the health of the plants we grow no dig so good luck
    Ali

plantmark
    Participant

Thanks for that Ali.

Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags