Green Waste Compost

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Green Waste Compost

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jjat8cv 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jjat8cv
    Participant

I cannot make enough compost to cover all my beds and am considering buying some green waste compost from our local recycle centre. As it will not be as high in nutrients etc. as garden compost is there anything that I should add to it if I spread it on my beds at this time of year.
    We found your talk on winter vegetables at Neroche Village Hall very interesting and my friends who came with us are converted.

charles

Great that you all enjoyed the talk.

Green waste compost varies a lot and this summer’s batches I have seen are better quality for being less wet, and they may well have a fair amount of nutrients without adding anything else. If you have the option of a richer blend iof green waste compost ncluding food waste, that has more nutrients.

SpadelessAde
    Participant

I am in a similar position, and was thinking about adding some chicken manure pellets to the green waste compost – would that be good do you think?

charles

Probably not worth adding chicken manure pellets at this time of year because some of their nutrients may be water soluble and thus leached away before spring. But I am not sure of that, just a hunch. Your green waste compost has plenty of time to settle and be colonised by soil life through autumn and winter, may be ok without an addition.

jjat8cv
    Participant

Thank you Charles. I will check if they have more than one grade of compost.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags