Greenhouse and polytunnel

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Greenhouse and polytunnel

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steve 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Steve
    Participant

We have a house in Western France ( Charente), and are planning to be as self sufficient as possible , please could you advise us on the following:

1. What size polytunnel would we need for veg and maybe a few house flowers?

2. What size green house would you recommend again veg and house flowers/plants?

We shall have room for raised beds and would welcome any recommendations regarding what to grow.

Maybe I should say there are 2 possibly 3 adults looking to be sustained from this plot.

Also any extras would be good for barter/ swapping for other goodies!

Steve

englishlady

Sounds like the perfect set up Steve  – ‘green’ with envy !

Julie

Daucus

For the size of polytunnel and/or greenhouse, just in my experience whatever you have will never be quite enough – so I’d say go for the biggest size you can fit and afford. I know that sounds a bit vague, but once you start growing and exploring possibilities the seedlings expand in number in inverse proportions to the planting out space available!

As for what to grow – perhaps start with what you already enjoy eating, plus a couple of things you normally wouldn’t. Veg tastes very different when home grown, so things you might normally dislike (beetroot and brussels sprouts spring to mind) are actually very tasty.

The climate in Charente is pretty good isn’t it? You should be able to grow lots of wonderful stuff, good luck!

Steve
    Participant

Hi Daucus, thank you for your input, I must admit I was thinking along the same lines regarding size.

We look forward to having a go at new veg and flavours!

Steve
    Participant

Thank you, we have 18 months before we can move in and start unfortunately, but once we’re in, you are welcome for a working holiday!!!

Steve

Daucus

Hi Steve – just had a thought. There are polytunnels available that are modular, so you can add on a section if you feel you need more space. Solartunnels have this facility, I’m not sure of the manufacturers of the others. Worth bearing in mind as it gives you a chance to start small and get the basics without being overwhelmed with too much to take care of.

Steve
    Participant

Hi Daucus, well that’s a bit spooky, that is exactly who we are looking at, although the modular side of things didn’t occur to me so thank you for that. You are obviously in the know so maybe I could ask you another question, the no dig method is obviously the one for veg, would it be good on a smaller scale for flower beds, not large but for splashes of colour here and there. Would like your thoughts on this if possible?

Daucus

Hi Steve that is spooky! I have a solar tunnel if you want to ask anything about them – will try and help.

I don’t see why you can’t use no-dig for growing flowers – although if you want self-seeding annuals you’ll have to be a lot less efficient with the hoe in case you take out all the things you’d want to keep. You would probably have to consider hand weeding beds instead and get good at recognising flowers vs weeds at a small stage. Beds of perennials aren’t usually dug anyway.

bluebell
    Participant

most greenhouses can be extended in usually 2 foot sections.

My Father in Law added 4 foot to his as a completely sepearate section with heated sand, which worked very well as an area for starting off seedlings and over wintering very tender plants.

Steve
    Participant

Hi Bluebell, please excuse ignorance I’m pretty new to this and learning all the time. Why heated sand? How is it heated, and finally is it on ground level or on a bench/table?

Steve
    Participant

Thank you for your kind offer, shall definitely take you up on that. Consider yourself warned!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags