Greenhouse soil health & fertility.

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Greenhouse soil health & fertility.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Stringfellow 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Stringfellow
    Participant

Hi Charles. I have recently erected a second greenhouse at my allotment, greatly increasing my options for growing under glass. My first greenhouse has grown mainly tomatoes in the summer months for the last six years and, despite repeated applications of compost, yields have dropped a little.

With my increased under cover space, I was considering growing tomatoes in the new greenhouse area next year and growing something else to help rejuvenate the old houses soil. Does this thinking make sense and, if so, what would be advisable to grow in the old house? Something outside of the solanaceae family I would imagine! I’ve toyed with the idea of a green manure during the winter and now would be an ideal time to sow it – any mileage in this? Thanks and we’re getting regular rain again now 🙂

charles

I would grow winter kale, chard, salads, coriander….
    Broad beans and peas overwinter would be good for the soil.
    AM not a fan of green manure in gardens, when one can grow food.
    Cover crops on farms is another matter.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Thank you for your advice, that is helpful. BB and peas it will be this coming season then.

Agree with your thoughts on green manures in small gardens, just wondered if anything in particular would help restore some fertility to this soil. I’ll rock dust, seaweed meal and compost as usual anyway.

charles

I see it as less about ‘restoring fertility’, more about bringing new life to the soil with different plants, also just having something growing all the time, which is possible undercover, even in Yorkshire!

Stringfellow
    Participant

Yes, poor choice of words! Thanks. I had some plants of filderkraut, boltardy and swede to hand
    once the new house went up. I’ve popped them in the new undercover beds and they are already thriving…in not so sunny Yorkshire!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags