Greenshaft Peas – how long until ready?

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Greenshaft Peas – how long until ready?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  compostpope 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

Hello Charles

Unfortunately I’m away on holiday for the first three weeks of July – so I’m having to carefully plan my sowing dates to avoid everything cropping whilst I’m away.

I only have enough space for 1 sowing of Greenshaft peas. From the first edition of your book I’ve learnt that 80-85 days are needed before harvest, however the Organic Gardening catalogue gives this as 100 days. Is there a reason for the discrepancy?

The difference is crucial – get it wrong and the mother-in-law will have them all!!!

Regards

Compostpope

charles

This is a bit more difference than I would like and the reasons for it are several, for example whether seeds are started indoors or sown direct, whether plants are fleeced for a fortnight after planting, what the climate is (last year the pea harvest was ten days later than in 2011, sown at the same time) and what stage of maturity you like for a first harvest (petit pois gain a week over full sized peas), and whether seeds are sown now or in late April.

In the book’s small tables there is not room to cover every eventuality so my figure is to give an idea of what is possible. Your mother in law may desire a cold spring to give her your harvest! I would sow undercover in a week or so and you may hope for most of the harvest before you go, but there are few certainties in gardening. 

compostpope
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Charles – I would sow soon as you suggested, but as I can’t get Greenshaft here in Switzerland I’ve had to order from Amazon and they inform me that the seeds will not arrive before the end of the month – so will have to sow late rather than early. I’ve read that Greenshaft are resistant to downy mildew and fusarium wilt so I hope to get a decent crop – am I right in thinking that mildew is less likely if plants are kept well watered?

Compostpope

charles

It is difficult to avoid mildew on peas, after about the middle of July, hence the advice to sow soon. I would still sow some as soon as your seeds arrive. Watering plants in summer will help, if it has not rained enough….

compostpope
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts – it seems either the mildew or the mother-in-law will get them if I sow this year. I might stick with Kelvedon Wonder (already sown indoors in 4cm modules on Friday – they seemed a bit cramped to my unexperienced eye)and save the Greenshaft until next year….

Best wishes and good luck in your new garden.

Compostpope

compostpope
    Participant

If anyone is interested I sowed them in modules in the third week of March, planted them out 3 weeks later and covered with fleece for 2 weeks and managed to harvest most of them in the last week of June before my mother in law could get hold of them whilst I was on holiday!

They have been the most successful crop of peas with the least effort I’ve ever had. Growing them in modules under cover gave them a great start (I’ve previously always had patchy germination sowing outdoors and frequently had to resow) and once planted out under fleece they grew well despite the terrible spring. As usual I chose to deny the existence of any damage from pea weavil, gave them a dose of seaweed solution as they looked a bit pale and then gave them some water 2 or 3 times as they flowered. The plants were taller and appeared more healthy than those on neighbouring plots.

Thankyou Charles!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags