griselle shallots

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables griselle shallots

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ladbrokes 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ladbrokes

i have over wintered shallots that went in back in mid oct. they have grown to abouts 30/40 cms. the wind has now blown them over flat. im very tempted to pull the lot as i dont want them to rot in the wet soil. am i doing the right thing

charles

You are tempted to do the best thing, pull them now. I need to harvest some of mine which are falling over.

I just harvested lots of garlic, many of the stems are rotting but I was still able to pull them out of the soil without the stems breaking. Their bulbs are much smaller than last year thanks to the low temperatures, lack of sun and moisture causing some rotting of stems, especially where there is rust.

Oh joy!

ladbrokes

good as ive dug them up today. very good harvest to, no damage to leek moth which im vry pleased about. they are currently drying on a rake in the sun. how long do they need to be drying before they can be stored and whats the best way to store them

charles

It depends on the weather and this year they don’t want to be outside for too long, being rained on. Hopefully find a dry afternoon to gather them into shallow boxes, such as wooden trays with slatted bottom and sides, and keep them somewhere sheltered but well ventilated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags