Ground Cover for Composting area

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Ground Cover for Composting area

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  compostpope 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Nightgardener
    Participant

Hi Charles, et al,

The fellow allotmenteer who has been sharing my second plot with me has now decided he doesn’t want it any more.

Trying to see the positives in this, it means that I can dedicate an area large enough for half a dozen or so “dalek” composters and a tool storage box. I was wondering though if you could make any suggestions about covering the ground. I’m really excited about the additional compost bins and that I’ll therefore be able to compost stuff for longer but very worried about weed control.

I know it’s not no-dig gardening as such, but any suggestions about ground cover would be much appreciated. I can’t afford, nor could I lay paving, but I have an abundence of stones. Should I lay membrane? Or something else?

Cheers

Susie

charles

Not sure if you are wanting to grow anything or is your question about keeping ground clear of weeds around your compost bins?

Stones grow weeds around them…

Nightgardener
    Participant

I really was asking about keeping the ground clear around them; I hadn’t really thought about growing stuff amongst them.

compostpope
    Participant

In your situation I’d use membrane – as wide as you can get to reduce the number of joins, and possibly lay cardboard under the membrane – especially under the joins. Make sure you level the ground beforehand otherwise you will be constantly tripping over lumps and hollows (I speak from experience!) and don’t be surprised if you have to free it from encroaching weeds (especially at the edges) every 6 months or so…

Compostpope

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags