Growing 2 different varieties of sweetcorn

Community Community General Gardening Vegetables Growing 2 different varieties of sweetcorn

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  charles 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Andy
    Participant

Hi Charles and Forumites, I see in the May issue of Kitchen Garden magazine,the feature on Sweet Corn finishes with the oft repeated “don’t grow 2 varieties in the same garden”.This is because of cross pollination affecting the sweetness of the cobs,but if they must be planted in a block pattern(close to each other) to help the pollination would I be right in thinking they don’t have to be miles apart to be safe.I now have 2 allotments next to each other approximately 35 yds x10yds (making 35ydsx20yds) so could I plant 2 varieties at diagonally opposite ends of the allotments?

charles

Yes I would try that, being further apart will reduce the cross pollination.
    Also there are sweetcorn varieties that mature early or late, so you can grow an early one next to a late one as their pollen emerges at different times. Steph and I did this last year at her allotment and it worked well.

Andy
    Participant

Thanks Charles.I’ll check the maturing times and give it a try.I’m certainly not short of growing space this year!

Steve P
    Participant

I saw a lecture on Youtube from Bob Flowerdew. he said that there is no issues with growing different types of sweetcorn together. He said the only issue would be if you were selling them commercially. Can you tell me what consequences there might be if I did grow them together.

charles

Well they do “merge” a little e.g. when I grew blue corn next to yellow (in France) I ended with cobs half blue kernels and half yellow.
    Its up to you whether that matters!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags