Growing Apples from 'Pips'

Community Community General Gardening Fruit Growing Apples from 'Pips'

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Malcolm 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hanniball
    Participant

Hi All,

I have fallen in love with a very old variety of apple called ‘Laxtons Superb’.
    I brought some from a chap at a boot fair about 2-years ago, who said that he has a very, old large small holding in Kent. The tree is huge apparently and he does nothing to it other than feed occasionally. I have brought more this year.
    The fruit are massive (10 cms + in diameter), sweet, crisp and juicy; absolutely excellent eating.
    I have some of these apples left but would really like to cultivate a tree/s from the apple seeds.
    Is this feasible?
    I have heard that seeds grown from the apple don’t do as well???
    What is the best thing to do here?
    Can anyone help please?
    Cheers.

charles

Apple trees from seed grow into other varieties because the bees will have pollinated blossom with pollen from other apple trees, unless you are unusually fortunate, and it takes a long time to find out!
    Best go and cut some twigs, buy rootstocks and graft onto them.
    Or stick the twigs into soil or compost to make cuttings, for full size (large) trees.
    I agree, Laxtons Superb is a lovely apple.

Hanniball
    Participant

Hi Charles, hope you’re well.

Thanks for the info. I have three apple trees on my plot already, so yes cross-pollination would be the problem.

I’ll have to see if this chap would be amenable to giving me a twig or two off of his tree, if I ask really nicely!

Cheers.

Malcolm
    Participant

Hi Hanniball

If the owner of the tree won’t allow you to take scion material so you can grab your own tree, you might like to contact Nigel Deacon at the Leicestershire Heritage Apple Project. His web site is:

http://www.suttonelms.org.uk/APPLE1.HTML

and all the contact information is there. If he doesn’t have Laxton’s Superb he may know where you can get scion material from.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags