Growing by the Moon

Community Community General Gardening Sowing and Growing Growing by the Moon

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kirpi 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Kirpi
    Participant

Can anyone help me to understand how this sowing/planting by the moon phases works please

The problem I have with it are for example we may sow carrots in the waning phase of the moon because it is a root crop, but the seed may not swell and sprout for another two weeks so it springs to life in the waxing phase of the moon – surely resulting in more top growth and less tap root – the bit we want to grow.

Similarly, we may sow peas when the moon is waxing, but the peas may not sprout until the moon is waning.

Also, most plants will grow through more than one full moon phase cycle so plants are growing through a full cycle of lunar influence, thus negating any advantage in sowing at a certain time in the cycle.

I can understand harvesting at a particular time – harvesting carrots when the moon is waning (more juice to the roots) and leaf crops when the moon is waxing (more sap to the upper growth).
    Opinions?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags