Growing leeks

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  frank 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Leif
    Participant

I have a 3m by 1m bed which will be for leeks. It’s filled with composted stable manure, ready for sowing. All the books say to sow leeks in a seed bed, then once they reach pencil size, transplant. Do I need to do this, and if so, what spacing should the seedlings be? I prefer to sow in place as it is less work. I suspect transplanting is a) because commercial growers want to minimise space usage, and use the leek bed for another crop until the leeks are transplanted (I have the space available now) and b) to allow the leek to be planted deeper to get more white stem (I prefer the green bit!).

Last year I sowed leeks in modules kept in a cold frame, and they did grow faster due no doubt to the extra warmth and protection from wind, so maybe I’ll do this again.

I tried to consult Charles’s book, but I can’t for the life of me find it!!!

charles

Yes Leif you can sow in place, for the reasons you give.
    Always so many choices!
    A leek every inch/2.5cm, 12in/30cm rows is possible, then thin small ones to eat in late summer, depending on variety.
    Bon appétit.

Leif
    Participant

Thanks Charles. I’ll do three rows along the 1m wide bed. I like young leeks, so that sounds good too.

Leif

frank
    Participant

Hi Leif
    I have only just seen this post so it is a bit late in the year now, but my understanding is that you grow the young leek to about pencil size in modules or pots in a cold frame then when transplanting you separate each leek from the compost. I was not sure from your post if you just grow the leeks on the soil surface which i’ve never seen done. I prepare the leek bed and use a dibber or similar to drill a hole 6 to 9 inches deep at about 6 inch centres. Drop the young leek in the hole and leave it. Many gardeners trim the roots of the baby leek so that drops right down to the bottom. do not backfill the hole. over time the leek will grow and expand to the sides of the hole and will be blanched to the depth of the hole. That way you don’t get as much grit in the layers of the leek. All I do then is spray the area with a watering can to saturate the roots. Many gardeners also earth up around them but i don’t bother as you say the green bit is tasty as well. I had a great crop last year and have done the same this year. Cant wait for autumn mmmmmm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags