Growing potatoes in a mulch of fallen leaves

Community Community No dig gardening Preparing the ground Growing potatoes in a mulch of fallen leaves

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  compostpope 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

compostpope
    Participant

Has anyone tried this? I have a potential source of fallen leaves and coffee grounds and as always not enough normal compost to cover all my beds….

compostpope
    Participant

…and as usual, having problems mastering the technology to post the appropriate link…

compostpope
    Participant

..still not working for me…potatoes in leaf mulch

compostpope
    Participant

Finally I think I did it…

Rhys
    Participant

Not done quite this but I’ve done the following which both worked:

1. Created a topsoil by placing leaves down in autumn and then sowing a quick mustard cover crop in March (fully harvested by late April) – the soil was totally ready to receive onion clumps (sown in modules in late March) or 6 -8 seeds direct and I harvested a fine crop.

So you can definitely create good soil using a leaf mulch and grow a successful crop in spring.

2. Hilling up potatoes using a combination of comfrey leaves, grass clippings and rotted horse manure.

I have been creating good soil in each of my 4 beds one year at a time by growing potatoes traditionally (i.e. creating a trench, filling it with manure ,comfrey leaves and BFB) and then hilling up as described.

I now have two of my four beds with great aerated soil and loads of worms after growing potatoes this way in 2014 and 2015. In 2014, I also overlaid horse manure at the end of October and simply left to rot on the surface. No digging was done, but obviously when creating the trenches, a certain mixing of topsoil with deeper stuff took place.

I think this method will probably work, although the question is what yield you get.

Funnily enough, I’ve laid down leaf mulch on two beds not growing potatoes in 2016 – we’ll see what happens. One is for parsnips, onions and carrots. The other is for beans of a variety of kinds.

We’ll see how they get on.

stu
    Participant

I’ve tried growing in coffee grounds and it didn’t work very well tried it with potatoes and got a very poor yield.

Stringfellow
    Participant

Well rotted manure as a mulch resulted in good yields this last season with spuds. Bed was in lovely fettle following harvest, ready for plants of spring cabbage.

compostpope
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.

I don’t have access to manure, hence the question about growing in partially broken down autumn leaves. One of my concerns is that it might attract slugs…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Info

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags